Classes / Education:
- Get scheduled for classes between 24 and 28 weeks in your pregnancy to ensure that you have completed your required classes by the start of your 36th week.
- Payment is due upon registration.
- To schedule a class, call 303.954.9399 (Blossom Wellness Center).
Don't see a class that fits in your schedule? Please call or email regarding our upcoming schedule email us.
All classes are held in suite #500 of Plaza de Medicos, specifically Blossom Wellness Center. We’ve been told we have one of the best class facilities in the Denver area. We have 500 square feet of class room space to spread out and get comfy on big pillows and pads. There is a plush couch, mod seats, yoga balls and a widescreen TV for films and presentations. Two roomy bathrooms are available as well. Free WiFi is available so you can twitter/blog/email friends and family from the class. *Getting childcare prior to a class is strongly advised as the attention of all those who attend need to be focused and not distracted.*
All our instructors are highly qualified or directly certified in the classes they teach. Mountain Midwifery Center considers education to a critical component of birth and wellness and we take pride in the strength and value of our class offerings. First-time parents are required to take a Natural Childbirth Series, Breastfeeding Class, and Newborn Care Class. Here's a list of classes available to both MMC clients and the public at large...
Natural Childbirth Preparation - a 4-week series, $200 - This class is required for first-time parents. We recommend starting the class between 28 and 32 weeks of pregnancy (must be completed by 36 weeks). It's a time to learn and discuss a variety of topics including: how to ease late pregnancy discomforts, optimal fetal positioning in both pregnancy and labor, the progress of labor and navigating the "what-ifs" of birth. This class will also spend time reviewing a variety of various relaxation and comfort measures including the importance of breath in labor and positioning. Content will also review what birth at MMC can look like in addition to discussing the importance of the partner at the birth, what they can expect and how to best support a laboring woman through a variety of techniques. This class was created by Heather Scott, a certified childbirth instructor and doula for over seven years in the community and currently works at MMC. All classes are taught by either Heather Scott or Melissa Force, experienced certified childbirth instructors. Please call 303.954.9399 to register.
- Sundays, May 19 - June 9, 1pm - 4pm w/ Melissa *FULL*
- Saturdays, June 8 - June 29, 9:30am - 12:30pm w/ Melissa *1 opening*
- Mondays, June 17 - July 8, 5:45pm - 8:45pm w/ Heather *FULL*
- Sundays, June 23 - July 14, 1pm - 4pm w/ Melissa*1 opening*
- Saturdays, July 13 - August 3, 9:30am - 12:30pm w/ Melissa
- Mondays, July 15 - August 5, 5:45pm - 8:45pm w/ Heather
- Sundays, July 28 - August 25, 1pm - 4pm w/ Melissa
- Mondays, August 12 - September 9 (skips 9/2 Labor Day), 5:45 - 8:45pm w/ Heather
- Saturdays, August 17 - September 7, 5:45pm - 8:45pm w/ Melissa
Birth at MMC Class - a 1-time class, $60 - This one time class is required for families who are having their second to fifth child and are planning their first out-of-hospital birth, or for families transferring care to us and have taken a hospital based class series or a class series outside of MMC. This class is recommended but not required for families whose last birth has been over a year at MMC. This will be a time to review the progression of labor, what birth at MMC is like; what is normal birth for MMC and what falls outside of normal and how it is supported. This is also a time for couples to practice comfort measures and coping techniques for labor in the birth rooms. Content is also directed at partners regarding how to support mom during the early labor phase at home, what to look for while laboring at home, and when to be calling the midwives. We ask you to take it before 36 weeks of pregnancy. A recent participant said, "We really found this refresher class to be useful information. We came in feeling like it was just a requirement but came away with new information and questions answered that we didn't even know we had! Thanks!" *3 couples must be registered in order for the class to meet. Please arrange childcare for your current child(ren). Please call 303.954.9399 to register.
- Friday, May 17, 5:30 - 9pm w/ Becky *1 opening*
- Friday, June 7, 5:30 - 9pm w/ Becky *FULL*
- Friday, June 28, 5:30 - 9pm w/ Melissa
- Friday, July 19, 5:30 - 6pm w/ Melissa
Breastfeeding for Parents-to-Be with Amanda - 1 class, 2 hours - $50 - This is a required class for first-time parents. We ask that you attend it between 32 and 36 weeks of pregnancy. A time to learn and discuss various aspects of breastfeeding including: how to establish a good latch, baby-led latch, positioning, how to tell if you baby is feeding well and ways to overcome common challenges. This class also incorporates information that is helpful for dads and partners of breastfeeding mom to know and watch for. All of our classes are taught by certified instructors and IBCLCs. Dads or partners are required to attend! Please call 303.954.9399 to register.
- Tuesday, May 21, 6pm - 8pm*FULL*
- Saturday, May 25, 1pm - 3pm*1 opening*
- Saturday, June 1, 1pm - 3pm
- Tuesday, June 4, 6pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, June 18, 6pm - 8pm*FULL*
- Saturday, June 22, 1pm - 3pm
- Tuesday, July 2, 6pm - 8pm
- Saturday, July 6, 1pm - 3pm
- Tuesday, July 16, 6pm - 8pm
- Saturday, July 27, 1pm - 3pm
Newborn Care for Parents-to-Be - 1 class, 2 hours - $50 - with Heather Thompson or Becky Potter - This is a required class for first-time parents. We ask you to attend it between 32 and 36 weeks of pregnancy. This class covers both basic newborn care (bathing, dressing, diapering) as well as logistical and emotional elements of the first few weeks of being new parents. In addition to discussing the importance of a “babymoon,” recruiting help with household chores after baby arrives in order to make the transition easier, parents will be taught warning signs in various health areas including cord care, urination/bowel movements, skin care and more. Dads or partners are required to attend! Please call 303.954.9399 to register.
- Thursday, May 23, 6pm - 8pm w/ Heather *FULL*
- Saturday, May 25, 4pm - 6pm w/ Heather *1 opening*
- Thursday, June 6, 6pm - 8pm w/ Heather *FULL*
- Saturday, June 8, 4pm - 6pm w/ Heather
- Thursday, June 20, 6pm - 8pm w/ Heather
- Saturday, June 29, 4pm - 6pm w/ Becky
- Saturday, July 6, 4pm - 6pm w/ Heather
- Thursday, July 11, 6pm - 8pm w/ Heather
- Thursday, July 25, 6pm - 8pm w/ Heather
- Saturday, July 27, 4pm - 6pm w/ Heather
Healthy Pregnancy - Bi-monthly class, 1.5 hours - Included in cost of care - with Lisa Carter, Registered Dietician. This class is designed to increase the awareness of ways to create a well rounded and healthy pregnancy. Topics will cover diet, nutrition and emotional expectations. This class is also a good time to develop community by meeting other MMC families and encourages group discussion. Recommended to attend by 20 weeks in the pregnancy. Partners are encouraged to attend! (Please remember to register as this is not a 'drop-in' class!) Please call 303.954.9399 to register.
Tuesday, May 14, 6pm - 7:30pmcancelled
- Thursday, May 30, 6pm - 7:30pm
Breastfeeding Group with Amanda, IBCLC - Weekly every Monday, 1 1/2 hours - drop in for $12 or purchase a 5 session punch card for $55. This group is intended for expectant and breastfeeding mothers and babies. We will have a weekly topic related to breastfeeding, and mothers will be encouraged to ask questions and share their experiences. A scale to weigh your baby will be available. Please register with Amanda any Monday at the group or contact her at email@example.com or 303-726-2612 or www.thejuicybaby.com .
- Monday, May 6, 10am - 11:30am
- Monday, May 13, 10am - 11:30am
- Monday, May 20, 10am - 11:30am
- Monday, May 27, 10am - 11:30am
- Nutrition Support Group - 1 hour - $20 - A monthly group to answer all of your burning questions about nutrition! Has your midwife suggested you see a Registered Dietician or Nutritionist to discuss healthy weight gain? Do you have a condition that makes it a challenge to maintain the diet you want for your growing baby? Do you have questions about the best diet for you? Do you want to address postpartum weight? Do you have a toddler who doesn't eat? All of these questions and more can be answered in the monthly Nutrition Support Group. Please register with Lisa Carter, RD, at 720-217-4153 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday, May 30, 5pm - 6pm
Baby wearing with Heather Thompson - please see Blossom Wellness Center - Learn how to wear your baby! This class will help you choose a baby carrier that fits your lifestyle and personality as well as improve the use of carriers you may already own.
Holistic Fertility with Colleen Flowers of Flowers Fertility - please see Blossom Wellness Center - Colleen is a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner and will teach the basics of charting your cycle with the Fertility Awareness Method to maximize your chances of getting pregnant. Prepare your body for pregnancy!
Natural Birth Control with Colleen Flowers of Flowers Fertility - please see Blossom Wellness Center - "There is a proven, comprehensive way to prevent pregnancy and, at the same time, protect your health and your potential for future fertility. The Justisse Method of Fertility Awareness provides the knowledge you need to manage your own birth control naturally" (http://www.justisse.ca). Colleen is a Fertility Awareness Educator and a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner (HRHP) through Justisse Healthworks for Women and loves teaching women and girls about their bodies!
Shonishin Clinic with Tricia Good (LAc) & Linda Raford (CNM, LAc) - please see Blossom Wellness Center - This "by-appointment" Shonishin Clinic is for infants and kids (6 weeks to 7 years old). It's a needle-LESS Japanese technique to promote health and wellness. There will be a suggested fee that will be donated in full to this birth center in Bali http://www.bumisehatbali.org/. Look for this clinic around the full moon of each month!
Wills & Wellness with Bonnie Bowles (Esq.) - please see Blossom Wellness Center - This free informational class is offered by Jeffrey R. Young & Associates. Find out about making a will, choosing your baby's guardian, and ensuring your baby's financial security.
- Doula Training: Advanced Practice Birth Support - please see Blossom Wellness Center - Includes hands on training with birth center families, advanced practice topics for trained birth professionals, and orientation specific to the Mountain Midwifery Birth Center. Participants will engage in classroom, on site, and on line activities. See Cocoon Birth for more information.